I stopped by DeLand’s city hall today for a business license. As it turns out, I didn’t have all the documentation I needed. Who does, on their first try? LegalZoom’s checklists can only take you so far.
Even so, I was impressed and pleasantly surprised by the people at city hall. There were no lines at the counter — and more importantly, there were no scowling faces, or “tsks,” or sighs of disapproval. The clerks were nice! I usually steel myself before I march off to do battle with bureaucracy. In this case, there was no bureaucracy to speak of.
Except, of course, for the paperwork. For my simple blogging business, I need:
- A federal Employer Identification Number
- Corporate paperwork from the state of Florida
- A Florida state tax registration
- A Volusia County business license
- and a city business license
Piece by piece it comes together, but I’d rather write than manage licenses and registrations.